ENVIRONMENT, SUSTAINABILITY & SOCIAL RESPONSIBILTY
GKL Leasing is committed to minimising the environmental impact of its operations through the adoption of sustainable practices and continual improvement in environmental performance. We consider the ‘Duty of Care’ imposed by legislation as the minimum standard to be set and maintained, and we aim to develop a sustainable business that is financially viable and environmentally sustainable. By the very nature of our activities, GKL contributes to achieving a low-carbon world: We ensure that drivers have access to the latest and most efficient vehicles. We actively advise customers on the process and benefits of adopting zero and low emission vehicles. As a company consciously future focused on low emission vehicles, we aim to establish realistic and ‘SMART’ 2-3 year targets for environmental improvement rather than wait for Governmental Regulations to change in 2030. In June 2022, 69.7% of the vehicles we have on order with manufacturers are zero or low emission.
Practice what we preach – Since 2019 GKL have offered their company car drivers zero emission vehicles and actively encouraged drivers to adopt low or zero emission vehicles. In 2019 15% of our drivers used hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles, in 2022, over 80% of staff drivers have adopted them.
Key actions taken by GKL to support these aims.
- Establish a Sustainability-Linked Financing Framework within which vehicles with low or zero Co2 emissions have lower cost funding. This helps provide a stronger case for customers to adopt low emission vehicles.
- Specialise in providing vehicle CO2 reduction consultation to our customers. As an early adopter and promoter of Electric Vehicles, GKL Leasing has taken its customers forward to be well established early adopters of BEV’s (Battery Powered Electric Vehicles).
- In line with the Tesla mantra; we have already leased over 650 battery electric vehicles, accelerating the UK and world’s transition to sustainable energy.
- Provide electric vehicle charging points at all GKL owned customer facing premises. Provide sustainable EV charging facilities for staff and the public by utilising solar panels as far as possible to supply the electric demands of GKL’s charging points and head office use.
Virtually the entire roof of our head office in Princes Risborough is given over to Solar Panels generating circa 28 MWh of electricity p.a. On clear days we produce enough power to charge several vehicles at the same time, all unused energy is fed back into the grid.
2022 Bi-annual energy figures – GKL Leasing Princes Risborough
Images shown, GKL Site, Roof of GKL Leasing, EV charge points, Princes Risborough, Buckinghamshire.
- Plan our vehicle logistics to make them as efficient and environmentally friendly as possible, using public transport, trains, buses, and walking for as many journeys as practical. In 2018 we relocated to a purpose-built site close to a main line rail station to support this aim.
- Continue to grow our Cycle to work Scheme for our staff
- Minimising waste and Co2 by continually evaluating operations and ensuring they are as efficient as possible. For example using pre-owned parts to repair and refurbish vehicles where appropriate, and actively promote and continue to conduct separated recycling across all our office locations.
- Reduction of printing by automating existing printing requirements, and continuous printer upgrade programme. Where we do have to print, we default to printing on both sides, and default to using minimal toner. Continue to roll out two screen workstations to minimise printing in 2022-23.
- Paperless invoicing and quoting as the default set up
- Plastic free purchasing of workwear and corporate gifts where possible.
- Minimised use of chemicals for site maintenance and pest control.
- Education of staff and customers in best green practices.
SOCIAL RESPONSIBILTY – PRACTICES OBSERVED
We work towards responsible business, self-regulation, and best practice through our CSR (corporate social responsibility) commitments. These are aimed at our current and future clients, service providers and partners. We are always seeking to make a positive impact on the wider community. Treat customers and stakeholders in an honest and transparent way, ‘How we would wish to be treated ourselves’. GKL are members of the British Vehicle Leasing and Rental association, (BVRLA), and are regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
We have adopted and follow the codes of practice of both organisations.
Be conscious of the environment beyond our immediate operations and take steps to prevent pollution and minimise environmental harm and nuisance, through: Develop sustainable supply chains by using suppliers wherever appropriate that have environmental standards compatible with our own.
We aim to continually lower the company’s vehicle fleet average CO2 emissions, based on a vehicle purchasing policy taking into account C02 emission values proposed by OEMs. Green Vehicles (vehicles emitting less than 50g CO2/km, in alignment with EU Taxonomy for sustainable activities). Our aspiration is to have more than 50% of our fleet in “green” vehicles (electric, hybrid and plug-in hybrid) by the end of 2023. (Currently 38% as of 31st May 2022)
The achievement of these green fleet targets is highly dependent on:
- The ability of car manufacturers to produce and deliver a significant number of low-emission and “green” vehicles, and their willingness to make these available to leasing and rental companies.
- The pace at which the UK deploys charging infrastructures
- Increasing demand by clients towards “green” solutions
We will use all relevant means, notably long-term relationships with car manufacturers, as well as relationships with charging partners, to influence and impact the above, thus enabling our objectives.
We regularly donate to national and local charities and to fundraising events throughout the year. Whether this involves charitable giving or reducing vehicle costs, we will continually support charities and local community programmes where possible. For several years now, we have selected the Royal British Legion as the key charity that we support, by making a large donation each year. Other charities, small and large, are also supported. Both our staff and customers are consulted and preference is given to charities that have some link with staff or customers.
GKL leasing is proud to be a supporter of The Royal British Legion.
The Royal British Legion, formed in 1921, provides lifelong support for the Armed Forces community – serving men and women, veterans, and their families. They help members of the Royal Navy, British Army, Royal Air Force veterans and their families all year round. Campaigning to improve their lives, organise the Poppy Appeal and remember the fallen. The Royal British Legion also donates heavily to Help for Heroes.
GKL leasing is proud to be a supporter of the Marylebone Cricket Club Foundation.
The MCC Foundation was founded in 1993 and is the charitable arm of the Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) based at Lord’s cricket ground. The ethos is based around transforming lives through cricket both nationally and internationally. Running a networks of Hubs providing free coaching and match-play. MCC’s Community Development Department is active in Westminster and delivers cricket to state schools, runs programmes to reduce social isolation and helps the unemployed back into work. Overseas the MCC has a strong presence in support of Afghan Connection and the Foundation for Goodness in post-tsunami Sri Lanka. The MCCF aims to raise funds and deliver programmes to help develop the game off the field and at grass roots.
We endeavour to treat all our customers and employees fairly and ethically, whilst continuously maintaining best practice.